There's a new place in town to get Mexican food, somewhere you might not have thought to look.
During a recent visit to Whole Foods Market, I noticed some changes in the prepared food section. On each side of the pizzeria, there are now some action stations where chefs are preparing Asian-style noodle and rice bowls. And right alongside all of that is a brand-new taqueria and sandwich bar. The taco bar is being piloted in 11 stores in the Rocky Mountain region.
According to Barbra Gibb, metro marketing and community relations director for Whole Foods Market, "The taqueria menu will eventually be rolled out globally with a consistent menu across those stores with a taqueria venue. The menus for the sandwiches will change seasonally."
The taqueria features Mexico City-style street food - tacos, burritos, bowls and tortas (Mexican sandwiches). You can buy them already prepared, or you can build your own, customized for your diet preferences. There are tortillas made with corn, flour or grain-free coconut cassava tortillas to choose from, allowing you to tailor your meal to fit a Paleo, gluten-free or vegan diets.
Currently the sandwich bar has seven preset combos: Italian salami trio, chicken pesto, turkey bacon avocado club, grilled cauliflower, roasted beef, ham and a featured sandwich - salmon BLAT (grilled salmon, bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato, chipotle aioli on a torta roll).
Calorie information is provided for all the prepared choices and the individual items, if you're doing your own thing. Be sure to add calories for any add-ons you might select for tacos. Here's a closer look at the prepared selections currently available at the taqueria.
- Garlic lime chicken with red cabbage, chopped onion, avocado crema on flour tortilla - 250 calories per taco. $8 for two.
- Barbacoa beef with Cotija cheese, pickled red onion, poblano chili salsa on corn tortilla - 140 calories per taco. $9 for two.
- Blackened fish with cilantro lime rice, black beans, red cabbage, pineapple salsa, Oaxaca cheese on corn tortilla - 330 calories per taco. $9 for two.
- Paleo garlic lime chicken, romaine lettuce, guacamole, cilantro, radish, tomatillo salsa on Siete tortilla - 480 calories. $9.
- Barbacoa beef with Oaxaca queso, black beans, red cabbage, poblano chili salsa on flour tortilla - 630 calories. $9.
- Vegan pepita roasted squash, cilantro, lime rice, guacamole, black beans, red radish, Hatch chili salsa on flour tortilla - 700 calories. $8.
- Achiote pork, rice, beans, charro beans, pickled escabeche jalapeños, cotija cheese and tomatillo salsa - 400 calories. $8.
- Blackened fish, pickled red onions, red cabbage, cotija cheese and avocado crema - 380 calories. $9.
- Mole verde zucchini and chayote, rice, romaine lettuce, cilantro, radish and pico de gallo - 370 calories. $8.
- Garlic lime chicken, pickled red onions, cotija cheese, avocado crema, Hatch chili salsa and jalapeños - 580 calories. $8.
- Achiote pork, Oaxaca cheese, guacamole, romaine lettuce, pickled red onion and pico de gallo - 570 calories. $8.
- Vegan jackfruit al pastor (al pastor indicates the jackfruit has been marinated before it's cooked and crumbled), red cabbage, radish, onion, cilantro with pineapple salsa - 330 calories. $7.