It's back to school Thursday for students of Falcon Middle School who were sent home Wednesday morning because of a gas leak at the Peyton school.
Repairs were finished Wednesday afternoon and the school was deemed safe by the Falcon Fire Department and Black Hills Energy inspectors.
Fire crews determined a gas line was cut during work on a rooftop heating unit and closed the school about 9 a.m. Students were bused to Falcon High School, where they were picked up by their families, District 49 spokesman Dustin Senger said. Students who did not have a ride home remained at the high school.
All after-school activities Wednesday were canceled.
After the report of an odor of gas, all students boarded buses to keep them out of the cold asFalcon firefighters located the source of the odor, Senger said. After fire crews determined the gas line was leaking and repairs would take several hours, school was closed for the rest of the day.