A stray cigarette butt sparked a blaze that caused about $15,000 worth of damage to two apartments Sunday, the Colorado Springs Fire Department said.
Two outdoor porches were badly damaged in the 3:40 p.m. fire at a townhome on the 2200 block of Split Rock Drive, north of Flying W Ranch Road, firefighters said. There was no damage inside the townhomes.
"This is the most preventable type of fire," fire department spokeswoman Sunny Smaldino said. "All it takes is for people to be aware and careful, put out their cigarettes completely."
One of the townhome residents sustained minor injuries when he moved a couch where the fire was believed to have started away from the rest of the house.
Smaldino said the fire was determined to be accidental.