Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Child dies from infected rat; family sues Petco

By: Associated Press
February 25, 2014 Updated: February 25, 2014 at 3:12 pm
0

SAN DIEGO — Lawyers representing a San Diego family have filed a lawsuit against Petco Animal Supplies Inc., saying a 10-year-old boy died from rat-bite fever contracted from a male rat purchased at one of the national chain's stores.

Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit in San Diego County on Monday seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after being rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office has confirmed the cause of the boy's death was an infection from a rat.

The retailer in a statement expressed its condolences. Petco says safety is a top priority and it was looking into the matter.

Comment Policy
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

Some news is free.
Exceptional journalism takes time, effort and your support.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.