Published: June 28, 2013
On Thursday, a "glimmer of hope" evaporated for the Redwine family - gone with the confirmation that 13-year-old Dylan had died.
"The news was a crushing blow to the entire family as well as to so many of Dylan's supporters and friends, locally and around the world," according to a statement from Elaine Redwine sent by her sister, Lia Howard.
A candlelight vigil near Durango for Dylan Redwine has been planned for Saturday night. Using social media, family, friends and those involved in the search have asked the community to gather at 8:30 p.m. at Eagle Park in Bayfield with candles and flashlights.
"Please join us as we take time to remember, acknowledge and mourn a beautiful child that has been stolen from the embrace of this community and family," the event description on Facebook says.
Authorities confirmed Thursday that they found Dylan's remains in the mountains around Vallecito. The teenager, who lived with his mother and brother in Monument, went missing in November from his father's house during a court-mandated Thanksgiving visit.
"While we have found him, we still do not know what happened to him and are determined to find out," Elaine Redwine's statement said. "While we continue to honor our sweet boy Dylan, our next mission is to get justice for Dylan."
The statement also thanked law enforcement and volunteers who searched for the boy during the intense seven- month investigation into his dissapearance.
"It's crushing," Mark Redwine, Dylan's father, told The Gazette on Thursday. "I don't think any parent wants to see that kind of thing. All they have are parts of my son."
As of Friday night, no other services had been planned to commemorate Dylan. Information will be updated on finddylan.com.
For more information about Saturday's vigil, click here: https://www.facebook.com/FindMissingDylanRedwine?ref=ts&fref=ts#!/events/196653490494499/
Contact Jesse Paul at 636-0253. Twitter: @JesseAPaul