Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Broncos pick up Von Miller's option for 2015

By: The Associated Press
May 1, 2014 Updated: May 1, 2014 at 8:28 pm
0
photo - Broncos' linebacker Von Miller celebrates as he leaves the field following Denver's 38-3 win over the Chiefs Sunday, December 30, 2012 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Photo by Mark Reis, The Gazette
Broncos' linebacker Von Miller celebrates as he leaves the field following Denver's 38-3 win over the Chiefs Sunday, December 30, 2012 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Photo by Mark Reis, The Gazette 

The Denver Broncos have exercised their 2015 option on pass-rusher Von Miller.

He now has two years remaining on his rookie deal. He'll make $3.25 million this upcoming season and $9.754 million in 2015 if he's on the Broncos roster next March.

Miller was the second overall pick in 2011, when teams were given the option of a fifth year for first-round picks as part of the transition to a rookie wage scale that was introduced with the current collective bargaining agreement that year.

Teams have until Saturday to exercise that option.

Miller was John Elway's first draft pick and had 30 sacks his first two seasons, including a club record 18½ in 2012. But his 2013 season began with a six-game drug suspension, included several off-the-field distractions and ended with a torn ACL in December that sidelined him for the Super Bowl.

Elway said this offseason that he believes Miller, who turned 25 recently, has matured and needs to put last year behind him.

What was clear at a recent appearance for his foundation is that Miller's frame is back to what it was in 2011 and '12 before he bulked up to 270 pounds last season, 24 more than what it was when the Broncos made him the second overall pick out of Texas A&M in 2011.

Miller said he's down to about 250 pounds and he said he's aiming to return to the field this summer so he can play in all 16 regular season games. He also said he's hoping not only to return to his old form but surpass it.

"I mean, I'm 25 years old. I'm hoping that my coming years are better than my first two," he said.

With Miller under contract for two more years, the Broncos can turn their attention to working out long-term deals with two of their rising offensive stars: wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and tight end Julius Thomas, both of whom can become unrestricted free agents after the 2014 season.

Comment Policy
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

Some news is free.
Exceptional journalism takes time, effort and your support.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.