Colorado Springs News, Sports & Business

Gazette Premium Content Broken gas line causes road closures, UCCS dorms evacuated

By Andrea Sinclair Published: May 6, 2013

Colorado Springs Fire Department Hazmat crews clamped a broken gas line that caused the evacuation of dorms at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs campus Monday morning.

Electric department workers from Colorado Springs Utilities hit a four-inch gas line at 4600 Stanton Road around 9:56 a.m., said Dave Grossman, a utilities spokesman.

The broken line spewed enough gas to cause Colorado Springs police to close the intersection of Stanton Road at Austin Bluffs Parkway and to evacuate dorms at UCCS, the fire department said.

Sunny Smaldino, fire department public information officer, said no one was injured by the leaking gas and Hazmat crews clamped the gas line at 10:40 a.m.

Tom Hutton, UCCS spokesman, said the Antero and Shavano buildings of student housing at the far west end of campus were evacuated as a precaution.

Grossman said the gas line is of average size and crews worked through the day to fix it permanently. He said safety crews surveyed both UCCS buildings to ensure the air quality was at a safe level to allow nearly 400 students to return to their dorms.

Comment Policy

Our commenting system has changed. Please register or login with your gazette.com account to comment on a story. Click here for information.

You've reached your 4 FREE premium stories this month

Already registered? Login Now

Get 4 more FREE stories

Simply register to continue.

Register

Subscribe now

Get access unlimited access to premium stories.

Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement