Fountain-Fort Carson knocks off defending 5A champion Columbine in physical fashion

September 7, 2012 Updated: July 3, 2013 at 9:32 am
photo - 
	 Photo by
Photo by  

LAKEWOOD • No trickery or gimmicks, Fountain-Fort Carson just lined up against the state’s top-ranked team and physically dominated.

When that’s the case, it’s hard to call this an upset.

Senior Anthony Davis caught a 33-yard touchdown and ran for two others as Fountain-Fort Carson upset No. 1 Columbine, the 5A defending champions, 35-21 in front of a pack of stunned fans at Jefferson County Stadium.

“Wow, I just — wow,” said Davis trying to put his enormous grin into words. “I’ll let you know tomorrow how I’m feeling.”

Fountain-Fort Carson controlled the action in all three phases against the state’s top team Friday — and scary thing is, coach Mitch Johnson says the program is just beginning to grow — this being only its third year in 5A.

“I’m just so proud of these guys, and hats off to Columbine. We gave these fans a great game,” Johnson said. “I mean both team have bumps and bruises — it was a physical game. You know, we’ll see if we have any pieces left when we stop and get something to eat. But you know, we played physical, which Columbine has been great for so long doing.

“And we came out on top.”

It was one of the biggest upsets in the area’s history as the Trojans’ four-headed running attack of Davis, Trae Bankston, Ben Selby and quarterback Cameron Hacker dominated the game.

Fountain-Fort Carson opened the season by ending Pine Creek’s four-year run of dominance in the Pikes Peak region. Now the Trojans have set their sights on the rest of the state.

And, again, the big plays came in all phases of the game.

The Trojans recovered a fumble on the second-half’s opening kickoff, setting up a 7-yard touchdown run from Hacker to take a commanding 28-14 lead.

They closed it with a little defense, too.

Terry Donnell intercepted a pass to silence a desperation drive from Columbine with less than 1 minute to go, sealing the deal.

The Rebels were shut down most of the second half as the offense struggled after the opening drive.

“And boy was it physical,” Johnson said. “Just all the hard work paid off.”

On the game’s opening drive, on third-and-a mile, the Trojans capped off a 55-yard drive when Hacker escaped a Columbine rush, and found Davis for the game’s first score.

Three minutes later, Columbine tied the game on a 1-yard running back dive, before Davis, once again scored, pounding it in from 1 yard out.

“The yards after contact from these guys was incredible,” Johnson said. “They might need some ice packs on their heads after this one.”

Columbine’s only other score came with 12 seconds left in the first half when a roughing the kicker penalty extended its drive.

“I was still happy going into half,” said Johnson with the 21-14 lead. “I knew whoever won the next 24 minutes would win.

“Simple as that.”

Comment Policy

LoginORRegister To receive a better ad experience

Learn more
You are reading 0 of your of 0 free premium stories for this month read

Register Today To get to up to 4 more free stories each and every month

  • Get access to commenting on articles
  • Access to 4 more premium pieces of content!
  • See fewer annoying advertisements
We hope you enjoyed your 4 free premium stories
Continue reading now by logging in or registering
Register Now
Already registered? Login Now