Updated: April 14, 2013 at 12:00 am
The Gazette’s publishing timeline
1872: The weekly Out West begins publishing. The editor is also the typesetter and printer, pressing each copy by hand.
1873: Out West changes its name to The Colorado Springs Gazette and El Paso County News.
1878: The Gazette becomes a daily paper.
1881: The Gazette gets “new cylinder press” that allows it to speed production.
1891: The Gazette moves to new, four-story stone plant with electric presses on 11 E. Pikes Peak Ave. With 100 employees, it is the city’s largest business.
1895: Unable to keep up with demand because of the Cripple Creek gold boom, The Gazette buys “a new fast press” and says it will “have no more trouble getting the paper out on time.”
1923: The Gazette merges with the Evening Telegraph and moves to 18 E. Pikes Peak Ave.
1925: Responding to rumors that the Ku Klux Klan plans to bomb The Gazette’s presses before a city election, police station sharpshooters in the windows.
1947: During a strike by union printers in January, The Gazette does not publish for two days — the only known time in its history that the daily paper is not printed.
1957: Bolstered by subscriptions from a growing military population, The Gazette moves to 30 S. Prospect St. and buys a Metropolitan Duplex press that can print 30,000 copies per hour.
1965: The Gazette buys a 200-ton Goss Mark II Headliner press that can print 70,000 copies per hour.
1980: The Gazette’s current press, a Manroland Lithomatic II, is installed. A second Lithomatic II is added in 1984.
1994: The Gazette begins “GT OnLine,” a “newspaper on computer” that promises to be a “guide to the worldwide web of computer networks known as the Internet.”
1996: The Gazette launches gazette.com, which now averages more than 1 million unique visitors per month.
2005: The Gazette launches its first blog, online audio and video.
2013: The Gazette shuts down its presses and contracts out printing.