April 12, 2013
Jim Bishop, former deputy managing editor and city editor of the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph, died Thursday in Victoria, Texas, where he had been managing editor and executive editor of the Victoria Advocate for 15 years.
Bishop, 69, died after a battle with cancer. His 46-year newspaper career included leading the Gazette Telegraph’s news team at a time when the paper won numerous awards, including the Pulitzer Prize for feature writing in 1990 for a story about a brother and sister burned in a propane gas explosion.
“Over the course of a career, you have one or two great bosses, and Jim was the best,” said Dave Curtin, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning “Adam & Megan: A Story of One Family’s Courage,” published Jan. 8, 1989. It told of Adam and Megan Walter’s recovery after a propane explosion at their home in Ellicott, east of Colorado Springs, seven months earlier.
“There are some editors you want to work hard for, just because of who they are,” Curtin said. “Jim was a stand-up guy and an inspirational editor who always stood behind his reporters. He was a hero to all of us because of the way he treated us.”
Bishop began his career at The Houston Post as a copy boy in 1963 and rose to acting night city editor before joining the Gazette Telegraph as assistant city editor in 1983. He later served as city editor and deputy managing editor before leaving in 1990 to become managing editor of the Victoria Advocate. He was promoted to executive editor in 1999 and retired from that position in 2005, though he continued to write a column for another four years.
“I am saddened to learn of Jim’s passing. He brought vision and passion to local newsgathering. He bought great people to our newsroom who stayed. He was one of the key players in achieving journalism’s highest honor,” said Jon Stepleton, former editor and managing editor of the Gazette Telegraph. “He was a friend and engaging conversationalist who loved the newspaper business and its mission of serving the community.”