An initially friendly exchange among acquaintances early Sunday escalated into a road rage incident and a shooting, according to an affidavit.
Raul David Barros, 18, is wanted on a warrant for attempted first-degree murder after the shooting near 21st Street and Lower Gold Camp Road. The victim, identified in the warrant’s affidavit as Jacovian Smith, 18, was driven to Memorial Hospital Central with two gunshot wounds.
Barros is described as a Hispanic male, 5 feet 6 inches tall, about 120 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair.
Witness statements in the affidavit described the circumstances leading up to the shooting.
According to the witnesses, Smith and a group of friends had been driving around the Colorado Springs downtown area around 2 a.m. Sunday in a green 1999 Isuzu Trooper. Near the area of Tejon Street and Nevada Avenue, they were approached by a red 2005 Infiniti and recognized one of the passengers. They all agreed to drive to the Wal-Mart on South 8th Street and meet up.
Shortly after meeting at the store’s parking lot, a disagreement broke out between the passengers of both vehicles, as Barros allegedly “disrespected” a female present and both parties drove away.
As the Isuzu traveled on Lower Gold Camp Road, the Infiniti followed behind and the disturbance continued, according to the affidavit. Witnesses from both vehicles described Smith getting out of the Isuzu at the intersection with 21st Street and going up to the Infiniti, then punching the driver in the face.
According to a female witness statement, “the next thing she saw was Jacovian turn as if he were going to run, and then she saw him fall. She said as soon as Jacovian fell she heard what she believed to be 6-7 gunshots in rapid succession.”
At the hospital a few hours later, Smith told police he stumbled back to his friends’ vehicle and said, “I got shot.” Doctors treated him for gunshot wounds to his left side and left foot. He is expected to make a full recovery.
After the shooting, according to the affidavit, Barros asked to be driven home on the 300 block of East Las Vegas Street. After dropping him off, the people in the Infiniti drove to the Police Operations Center on South Nevada Avenue around 3:51 a.m.
All three male witnesses stated to police that they saw Barros pull a small black handgun out of his pocket and shoot Smith from the back seat.
Police found two .380 caliber shell casings at the intersection where the shooting took place.
After cross-referencing the witness statements, phone numbers and the home of record registered with Barros’ probation officer, police issued the warrant for attempted first-degree murder.
There are several outstanding warrants for Barros’ arrest, including attempted first-degree murder of a peace officer with extreme indifference in July.
According to court records, Barros was able to post a $50,000 bond and was released Aug. 23. The affidavit also stated a search warrant executed at Barros’ residence recovered three handguns, two of which were reported stolen.
Barros was also charged with theft and burglary of a motor vehicle after being arrested Jan. 11. He posted a $50,000 bond and was released Feb. 5.
Barros should be considered armed and dangerous, according to a Police Department press release. Police advise anyone with knowledge of his whereabouts to contact law enforcement without approaching him.
Anyone with information can call police at 444-7000 or Crime Stoppers at 634-7867.