Updated: March 15, 2013 at 12:00 am
In preparation for what could be a rough season of flashfloods in the aftermath of the Waldo Canyon fire, free sandbags are available from the Colorado Springs Office of Emergency Management.
The sandbags were paid for by a grant from the Colorado Fire Relief Fund, according to a press release.
They will only be available at Colorado Springs Together and the following Colorado Springs fire stations:
- Colorado Springs Together – 6840 Centennial Blvd. Suite A
- Fire Station 5 – 2830 W. Colorado Ave.
- Fire Station 9 – 622 Garden of the Gods Rd.
- Fire Station 12 – 445 Rockrimmon Blvd.
- Fire Station 18 – 6830 Hadler View
The bags are not sand-filled. But people who pick up a bag will get a list of sand vendors.
They can can take 100 bags for each address per day, the press release said.
An information kit including a DVD on sand placement, a Colorado Springs Emergency Preparedness Guide and other flood information is also available.