Mealworms found in batch of soup at Harrison High lunch

DANIEL CHACÓN Updated: February 6, 2013 at 12:00 am • Published: February 6, 2013

The menu said turkey noodle soup, but students at Harrison High School found a little extra protein in their lunch Wednesday.

After a student discovered a mealworm or weevil in his soup, cafeteria workers found more insects in the batch of soup.

“The lunch ladies immediately pulled the soup off the line,” Harrison School District 2 spokeswoman Christine Lyle said. “Luckily, it was caught during the first five to 10 minutes of the very first lunch.”

Students were reimbursed, even if they didn’t order soup, and allowed to select a different entree, Lyle said.

The mealworms were confined to a single batch of soup, and the school immediately notified the county health department and the vendor who provides the food, Lyle said. Such bugs are not uncommon in flour-based products.

Lyle said the health department assured the school that “there’s no food borne danger of illness” even if the students ate the soup, which some did.

“It’s more just the displeasure of knowing that that was in their food,” she said.

The principal recorded a phone message for parents and sent letters home.

“As a district, we are so sorry it happened and, of course, we’re working very closely with our food vendor to make sure that that doesn’t happen again, and I know that they’re very sorry it happened, too,” she said.

Comment Policy
Colorado Springs Gazette has disabled the comments for this article.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
APR
23
APR
24
APR
25
APR
26
APR
27
APR
28
APR
29
APR
30
MAY
1
MAY
2
MAY
3
MAY
4
MAY
5
MAY
6
Advertisement