- Attorneys Richard Young and Steve Smith of The Sports Law practice of Bryan Cave HRO have been named "leaders in their field" by Chambers USA, a directory of the most widely recommended law firms and attorneys in the U.S. Young is the managing partner of Bryan Cave HRO's Colorado Springs office and was chosen for his work in the international anti-doping arena. Smith, co-leader of the firm's sports and entertainment group, also is based in the Colorado Springs office. He was cited for his "focus and understanding in all facets of sports law."
- Breke Harnagel has joined Aleut Management Services as vice president of contracts and legal. Harnagel, a licensed attorney with experience in risk management and commercial and government transactions, will take part in merger and acquisition activities, proposal preparations and contract negotiations. He was also appointed ethics officer for the Colorado Springs company and its subsidiaries.
- Brian Johannsen has been promoted to sales and marketing manager for C&C Sand and Stone Co. He has been worked for the landscaping and building materials company since 1994.
- Tim D. McConnell has been promoted to the position of associate with Boulder-based Drexel, Barrell & Co. McConnell is regional manager of Drexel, Barrell & Co.'s Colorado Springs office. He has a degree in civil engineering and 20 years of experience. The company provides engineering and surveying services for civil, water resources, traffic and transportation projects.
- The real estate services firm Griffis/Blessing recently received seven awards at the Apartment Association of Southern Colorado's Peak Awards Banquet, including Best Community Manager, Best Portfolio Manager and Best Management Company. In addition, Tricia Marsh received Best Community Manager for properties with 150 or more units for her work at the Preserve at Hidden Creek, which also won for Best Community built after 1996. Carmen Azzopardi won the Best Portfolio Manager award, and JR Weldon received Best Maintenance Supervisor for properties with 150 or more units, for his work at Mesa Ridge Apartments in Fountain. The company also won "Best Community" built between 1980 and 1996, for Clearview Apartments, and "Best Curb Appeal" for Cascade Park Apartments.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Colorado Springs Air Force Academy has received a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award. The award is given to establishments that consistently get outstanding traveler reviews on the travel website. Only the top-performing 10 percent of businesses listed on TripAdvisor receive the award.
How to submit business items
Deadline for all items is 5 p.m. Tuesday.
The submission must include the name of the event, its time, date and place, with the address included. Also include contact information for the public, which can include a phone number, an email address or a Web address, and whether there is a cost.
Items may also be submitted online by visiting http://events.gazette.com/listings. It is a free service but will require registration for a username and password.
The Essentials listings are for awards, promotions, new hires and new businesses. Pictures may be included but must be at least 1MB in size. Head shots are recommended.
Email information to email@example.com, fax to 636-0202 or use the online form at gazette.com/business.