Broncos' offensive coordinator McCoy takes Chargers head coach job

Staff reports Updated: January 15, 2013 at 12:00 am • Published: January 15, 2013

SAN DIEGO • Mike McCoy’s interview with San Diego went so well that both sides felt he was a perfect fit to become the Chargers’ new coach.

McCoy had one thing to do, though, before accepting the Chargers’ offer, so it was a good thing Chargers President Dean Spanos’ private plane was at his disposal.

“There was no doubt in my mind when I got back on that plane to go back home,” said McCoy, the former Broncos offensive coordinator who was introduced Tuesday as Chargers’ coach. “They wanted to keep me here last night. But I said, ‘I’ve got to talk to my wife about this before. If I made the decision without talking to my wife, I might get in a little trouble.’”

So McCoy flew back to Denver to talk it over with wife Kellie. McCoy, his wife and their two children were back on the same plane Tuesday morning, flying back to San Diego to take the job.

“Without a doubt we knew this was the place we wanted to be,” said McCoy, who signed a four-year contract.

McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired along with general manager A.J. Smith after the Chargers finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs for the third straight season.

The move comes three days after the top-seeded Broncos were eliminated from the playoffs in a double-overtime home loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

The 40-year-old McCoy is the same age as Tom Telesco, who was hired as general manager last week.

McCoy interviewed after the Chargers already had talked to Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, fired head coaches Lovie Smith and Ken Whisenhunt, and Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.

“Once he came in and once we saw how good he was, we just felt we had to have him now,” Telesco said of McCoy. “We had to get it done or we’d lose him.”

Clady pulls out of Pro Bowl

Ryan Clady has withdrawn from the Pro Bowl because of an injury, presumably the balky shoulder that bothered him during the Broncos’ first-round bye but which didn’t prevent him from playing in their loss to Baltimore.

Clady will be replaced by Cincinnati Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth.

Bowlen chimes in

In a letter sent to season ticket holders, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen thanked fans for bringing the passion back to the stadium.

“We certainly had a very good season and perhaps exceeded a few expectations,” Bowlen said in the letter obtained by The AP. “But Broncos fans, you and I know what a great season looks like.”

Bowlen called Saturday’s loss “a gut-wrenching disappointment for everyone who loves the Denver Broncos.

“I feel terrible for our players, coaches and staff who put forth maximum effort throughout the year,” he said. “They accomplished many great things while falling short of our ultimate goal. But most importantly, my heart aches for you.”

Broncos cut ties

with secondary coach

Denver promoted Cory Undlin to secondary coach, replacing Ron Milus. A person with the team who spoke on condition of anonymity because the club doesn’t speak publicly about coaches’ contracts stressed the decision wasn’t a result of Baltimore’s tying 70-yard touchdown pass in the waning seconds of regulation Saturday.

Comment Policy
Colorado Springs Gazette has disabled the comments for this article.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
APR
23
APR
24
APR
25
APR
26
APR
27
APR
28
APR
29
APR
30
MAY
1
MAY
2
MAY
3
MAY
4
MAY
5
MAY
6
Advertisement