Colorado Springs News, Sports & Business

Gazette Premium Content Army seeks death penalty in Afghan massacre case

Staff reports Updated: December 19, 2012 at 12:00 am
Staff reports Updated: December 19, 2012 at 12:00 am • Published: December 19, 2012

SEATTLE — The Army says it will seek the death penalty against the soldier accused of massacring 16 Afghan villagers during pre-dawn raids in March. The announcement Wednesday followed a pretrial hearing last month for Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who faces premeditated murder and other charges in...

You've reached your 4 FREE premium stories for this 30 day period*

Register for 4 more free articles.

or
*A 30 day rolling period starts the day you first visit the site.
Are you a subscriber and having trouble viewing stories?
Advertisement

SEATTLE — The Army says it will seek the death penalty against the soldier accused of massacring 16 Afghan villagers during pre-dawn raids in March.

The announcement Wednesday followed a pretrial hearing last month for Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, who faces premeditated murder and other charges in the attack on two villages in southern Afghanistan.

Prosecutors say Bales left his remote base in southern Afghanistan early on March 11. Prosecutors say he first attacked one village, returned to the base, and then slipped away again to attack another nearby compound. Sixteen people were killed, nine of them children.

No date has been set for his court martial, which will be held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle.

Comment Policy

If you are a subscriber or registered user we welcome your comments. Please register or login with your gazette.com account to comment on a story. Click here for information.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement