Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

High school student ticketed after suspected Visine poisoning

By: MARIA ST.LOUIS-SANCHEZ
October 8, 2012
0
photo - Caitlin Lozano, right, and Amanda McCann walk through the halls of Vista Ridge High School in May of 2011.  Photo by CHRISTIAN MURDOCK, THE GAZETTE
Caitlin Lozano, right, and Amanda McCann walk through the halls of Vista Ridge High School in May of 2011. Photo by CHRISTIAN MURDOCK, THE GAZETTE 

A high school student was ticketed Monday afternoon after police say they suspect he put Visine inside a bottle of ranch dressing used by several students.

Police were called to the school, at 6888 Black Forest Road, about 11:30 a.m. after another student told administrators that he had seen the student squirt the bottle of Visine inside a bottle of Ranch dressing used by students at lunch time.

Stephanie Wurtz Meredith, spokeswoman for District 49, said about 20 students out of the 75 in the lunch period reported to be suffering possible symptoms after they were told what happened.

Medical crews from the Colorado Springs Fire Department and American Medical Response were called to the school and stayed for two hours to monitor the students, but none became ill. Students affected were released to their parents.

Wurtz Meredith said administrators questioned the student suspected of putting the Visine in the dressing, but he said there was just water in the bottle. The Visine bottle had been thrown out and could not be found so administrators don’t know if it was contaminated, she said.

“We still have not been able to confirm what might have been in the ranch dressing,” she said.

The student who put the liquid into the dressing was ticketed by police on suspicion of reckless endangerment as well as other possible charges. The student was released to his parents, Wurtz Meredith said. He stands to possibly face discipline charges at his school as well, she said.

Vista Ridge students who face symptoms of Visine poisoning are asked to contact their doctors immediately and also let their school know if they become ill. Symptoms include:  dizziness, nausea, low blood pressure and low body temperature.

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Incognito Mode Your browser is in Incognito mode

You vanished!

We welcome you to read all of our stories by signing into your account. If you don't have a subscription, please subscribe today for daily award winning journalism.

Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

Some news is free.
Exceptional journalism takes time, effort and your support.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.