Updated: August 8, 2012 at 12:00 am
DENVER — The Colorado Department of Agriculture says a cow that died in Logan County in northeast Colorado had anthrax, and about 50 other dead cattle at the same ranch may have been exposed.
The department said Wednesday the ranch has been quarantined, and people who may have been exposed to the disease are being monitored. Agriculture officials say no cattle left the ranch before the quarantine, and none entered the food chain.
People can be infected with anthrax by ingesting or breathing in anthrax spores or by coming in contact with infected animals, soil or water. Dr. Tony Cappello of the Northeast Colorado Health Department says health officials are contacting people who were involved with the affected livestock.
The disease can be treated with antibiotics if it is caught early.