Free tax preparation for households up to $50K income

February 3, 2011

Households with annual income of less than $50,000 can get free help completing their 2010 tax returns.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is in its third year, according to its sponsor, Catholic Charities.

No appointments will be taken. Assistance will be provided on a drop-in basis at the Hanifen Center at Marian House, 14 W. Bijou St. Enter the Marian House through the courtyard in the front; Volunteers will direct clients to the waiting area.

The tax help is scheduled for Saturdays, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., through April 16.

What to Bring:

  • Your Social Security card, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or an accurate record of either number. If you’re filing a joint tax return with your spouse and/or you’re claiming a dependency exemption for someone or claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit, you’ll need to bring accurate records of those Social Security Numbers or ITINS, as well. (Accurate Social Security numbers are extremely important to ensure your tax return gets processed as quickly as possible — which will speed up your receipt of any tax refund you may be expecting);
  • Photo Identification such as a driver’s license;
  • Your spouse, if filing a joint tax return;
  • All Forms: W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from all your employers for the year 2010. If you’re filing a joint tax return, you’ll need all your spouse’s Forms W-2 as well;
  • Any and all Forms 1099 you (and your spouse if filing jointly) received, Form 1099 reports various types of income received (such as interest, dividends, unemployment compensation, social security, state tax refunds, pensions, 401K, IFtA’s, etc.);
  • A copy of your last year’s federal and state tax returns, if you kept copies;
  • A copy of any educational expenses paid to a qualified educational institution (including tuitlon, books & mandatory fees and interest paid on student loans);
  • If you believe you may be able to “itemize your deductions” to reduce your taxes, bring lists, statements, bills, or receipts of your expenses for out of pocket medical and dental, property taxes, auto vehicle registration, home mortgage ‘ interest, casualty losses, charitable contributions, and other miscellaneous expenses;
  • If  you itemized deductions in the previous year (Schedule A), the amount of state tax refund you received (Form 1099-G);
  • Tax ID numbers of the provider(s) (Social Security or Federal ID numbers) for any child care provided (Child and Dependent Care Credit);
  • A bank account and routing number if selecting a direct deposit (refund) or direct debit (balance due);
  • If you are filing a prior year return or an amended return, what year(s) – 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, or other
Comment Policy

LoginORRegister To receive a better ad experience

Learn more
You are reading 0 of your of 0 free premium stories for this month read

Register Today To get to up to 4 more free stories each and every month

  • Get access to commenting on articles
  • Access to 4 more premium pieces of content!
  • See fewer annoying advertisements
We hope you enjoyed your 4 free premium stories
Continue reading now by logging in or registering
Register Now
Already registered? Login Now