November 8, 2010
The family of a man shot and killed in October is pleading for anyone with information to help police find his murderer.
“Hopefully the person who had something to do with his death is listening today,” said Leslie Smith, mother of 32-year-old Stephan Wilson who was killed Oct. 1. “I’m appealing for that person to come forward.”
Smith, her husband David Smith and their daughter Michelle Wilson held a news conference Monday at the Colorado Springs Police headquarters begging the public for information about Stephan Wilson’s death.
His body was found at his condominium at 6950 Delmonico Drive with a gunshot wound to his head. A property manager, who was investigating a noise complaint, found the body. His death was the city’s 18th homicide of the year.
Sgt. Charles Rabideau, head of the department’s homicide unit, said the department has interviewed several people and continues to investigate the case.
“So far, no arrests have been made,” he said. “We continue to seek information from the public.”
Smith described her son as a kind man who was a full-time student at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
“He was the kind of person that if you met him, you’d definitely feel that you knew him,” she said. “He had a heart so big that he’d help anyone.”
She said she has no idea what happened leading up to his death. She said that she doesn’t care how people with information come forward, as long as they pass on what they know to police.
“We know it’s not going to bring Stephan back, but we want closure,” she said.
There have been 23 homicides in the city this year. Wilson’s death is one of seven of those homicides in which no one has been arrested:
• Greg Carter, 43, was taken to the hospital on Dec. 23 with a head injury and died Jan. 6. Police are trying to determine his whereabouts Dec. 22 – they think he may have run out of gas on Peterson Road and a person driving a black 1996 Chevy Camaro stopped to help him.
• Yong Glenn, 56, was shot in the head and killed March 8 at her tailor shop at Maizeland Road and Academy Boulevard. Police are looking for her gold 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with the license plate 584OMI.
• Tyrone Lyles, 32, was killed March 31 outside the Union Station club, 2419 N. Union Blvd. He had been in the midst of a disturbance outside the bar and was hit by a vehicle. Police are looking for a four-door sedan seen leaving the parking lot.
• Isaiah Goss, 17, was shot in the abdomen June 20 in a brawl at the Camelot Apartment Homes, 458 S. Murray Blvd. The shooter then chased Goss through the parking lot firing his gun. The shooter, who was wounded in either his head or face, ran away from the scene. Goss died at the hospital the next day.
• Eddie Donte Wilson, 28, was shot and killed June 30 at the Cedar Creek Apartments, 1070 S. Chelton Road. Neighbors say it was a drive-by shooting where several shots were fired.
• Martique Webster, 37, was found dead inside an idling car Oct. 21 at the Rustic Hills Park Apartments, 1220 Potter Drive. Police say he died of a gunshot wound to the head.
Contact the writer at 636-0274.