Save this content for laterSave this content on your device for later, even while offline Sign in with FacebookSign in with your Facebook account Close

Bruce served with contempt citation after 30 attempts

By: EILEEN WELSOME
June 29, 2010
0
photo - Douglas Bruce Photo by JERILEE BENNETT, THE GAZETTE FILE
Douglas Bruce Photo by JERILEE BENNETT, THE GAZETTE FILE 

After 30 failed attempts, process servers have finally caught up with Douglas Bruce.

Mike Saccone, a spokesman for the Colorado Attorney General’s Office, said Bruce was served Tuesday morning in Colorado Springs with a contempt-of-court citation by a private process server.

Bruce did not respond to a telephone call requesting comment. If Bruce is found to be in contempt of court, he could be ordered to pay fines and court costs.

Denver District Judge Brian Whitney issued the contempt-of-court citation June 23 after concluding that Bruce had “obstructed the administration of justice” and disobeyed his order compelling him to appear for a deposition.

The contempt-of-court hearing is scheduled for July 26.

The contempt citation arises from a complex series of events that began with Bruce’s failure to appear for a deposition earlier this spring in connection with a campaign finance hearing. The purpose of that hearing was to find out who financed the campaign to get Amendment 60, Amendment 61, and Proposition 101 on the November ballot.

Those three measures , would limit the ability of local and state governments to borrow money, reduce the state income tax, and roll back certain fees.

Proponents say the measures are needed to rein in government debt and keep more money in the pockets of taxpayers. Opponents say the measures would deal a potentially fatal blow to the state’s economy.

Bruce, the author of the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights, or TABOR, sought to distance himself from the three ballot issues, but testimony in the campaign finance hearing showed that he was deeply involved, communicating with the sponsors through the e-mail address info@cotaxreform.com.

Saccone said the AG’s Office does not plan to file additional motions. “The burden at the hearing will be on Mr. Bruce to show why he shall not be held in contempt,” he said.


Call the writer at 476-4825.

Comment Policy
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Register to the Colorado Springs Gazette
Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

It appears that you value local journalism. Thank you.

Subscribe today for unlimited digital access with 50% fewer ads for a faster browsing experience.

Subscribe to the Colorado Springs Gazette

Some news is free.
Exceptional journalism takes time, effort and your support.

Already a Subscriber? LOGIN HERE

articles remaining
×
Thank you for your interest in local journalism.
Gain unlimited access, 50% fewer ads and a faster browsing experience.