Amputee has basketball dreams put on hold

Staff reports Updated: January 31, 2014 at 8:00 am • Published: January 31, 2014 0

DENVER — Safety concerns have put a double-amputee high school basketball player's dreams on hold.

The Colorado High School Activities Association told Bailey Roby earlier this month he could no longer play after game officials balked when they learned Roby didn't have an official letter of authorization.

At the heart of the issue is a national high school rule that bans players with prosthetic devices if they place opponents at a disadvantage or increase the risk of injury to the athlete or others. His coach at Mountain Vista High School says he understands the concerns.

Roby tells the Denver Post (http://tinyurl.com/mhun6wa ) the ruling does not make sense because he has been playing school basketball for several years, beginning with a junior varsity team.

Comment Policy
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
APR
23
APR
24
APR
25
APR
26
APR
27
APR
28
APR
29
APR
30
MAY
1
MAY
2
MAY
3
MAY
4
MAY
5
MAY
6
Advertisement