The Air Force women closed the regular season on Friday night with a 66-60 victory at San Jose State.
Here’s what that means:
- Air Force (5-24, 5-13 Mountain West) will enter the conference tournament seeded eighth, ahead of No. 9 Utah State, No. 10 San Diego State and No. 11 San Jose State. The Falcons were picked to finish last in the conference (receiving fewer than half the points of the 10th-place team) and have been seeded 11th each year since the Mountain West expanded to 11 teams in 2013-14.
- The Falcons’ five wins in Mountain West play are a program record.
- Air Force won five of its final 12 games Mountain West games. Prior to that, it had five wins spanning 85 conference games. Yes, it went from 5-80 to 5-7. The Falcons closed the season with three wins in four games, and the lone loss came by two points on a shot in the final 3 seconds.
- That two-point loss – 57-55 – came at Utah State. The Falcons will get a chance to avenge it at 3 p.m. (MT) in the first game of the Mountain West Tournament on Monday. Air Force and the Aggies split their regular-season meetings. The winner will face top-seeded Boise State at 1 p.m. Tuesday.
- Kaelin Immel, who already owns the program’s Division I single-season scoring record (429 points), scored 21 points on Friday and broke the Air Force overall freshman scoring record on Friday, passing former superintendent Lt. Gen. (ret.) Michelle Johnson.