May 15, 2014 Updated: May 15, 2014 at 8:32 am
Three people lost their home Thursday after an early morning fire at an apartment complex north of The Citadel mall, according to the Colorado Springs Fire Department.
Two residents suffered minor injuries and were taken to the hospital as a precaution, said city spokeswoman Kim Melchor.
The blaze sparked in a first-floor unit of the Santa Fe Apartments at the 3600 block of Marion Drive, off North Academy Boulevard, about 3:30 a.m., Melchor said.
"Large flames and heavy smoke were visible by the time firefighters arrived, and several residents were rescued with a ground ladder," Melchor said.
Thirty firefighters battled the blaze and extinguished it within 15 minutes, Melchor said.
The cause for the blaze and the extent of the damage wil be determined after the fire department's investigation.
Check www.gazette.com for updates.